Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Sometimes you just get lucky

When our phone rings late at night and someone asks if we have a room for the night, we tend to be a bit skeptical. After all, we're inviting these people into our home, and we try to make sure they'll be happy -- and that we will, too.

Last night, our phone rang at about 11, and the caller asked for a room. Mark answered the phone and told the caller that we had a room available. When he hung up, he figured they'd go elsewhere, as they didn't indicate when they'd arrive or confirm that they wanted to stay here.

As luck would have it, the couple arrived just before midnight, and I knew as soon as I answered the door that they would love the house. What I didn't know yet was that I would love them as well.

Judan and Christopher live in Fairfield, Iowa, where they are active with the Mahariji University. Judan told me that they both grew up in Fairfield, and we had a wonderful talk about that town and its incredible approach to welcoming this university and its followers, as well as its unique and effective approach to economic development.

She further told me that she believes Fairfield draws positive energy from the universe because there are literally thousands of people meditating there every day. I think she must be correct.

We spent an hour talking about Fairfield, and about life, this morning while they had breakfast. (Thank you to our neighbors Will and Gary for the freshly picked zucchini and apples, which I baked into apple zucchini bread last night and served for breakfast this morning.) I found their positive outlook and approach to life refreshing and reaffirming.

I wish Judan and Christopher safe travels. I thank them for reminding me of the many ways in which this life draws people together.

No comments:

Post a Comment